Friday, September 28, 2012

In Loving Memory of Greta 1/22/2009 - 9/26/2012


Most of you know that I hardly ever called her "Greta," so the title might seem almost comical. Among countless other senseless nicknames, she was my Teetsie, my RuRu, my Shushie, The Girl. I remember the day we got her like it was yesterday. We showed up to the Swissie Compound, complete with dog mansion to match the breeders' mansion. We heard the "aRU-RU-RUuu" bark before we saw the gentle giants, and I remember saying to Crawford, "Those are the male dogs... right?" Sure enough, they were girls and one was Greta's mama. Once we got the all-clear from the protective breeder, we had that sweet baby in our arms. I am using the term "baby" loosely, because she was not your regular sized 8 week old puppy... She was already heavy to carry. Gosh I would give anything for that day.

Her size was not the only "non-puppy" thing about her. Her demeanor at 8 weeks to the day she left us was that of an 18 year old precious lug. Not much excited her. Except for Crawford. I always said that if I walked in one door with a huge slab of raw meat and Crawford walked in the other, she wouldn't even glance my way. She loved him SO much. And for good reason! That man would do anything for her... and he did.

There are so many things I will miss. That face. Such a precious, puddin' face. Those brown dots above her eyes, or her eyebrows I guess, were my favorite part. She was so striking! Her eyes held so much more wisdom than she every fully revealed. It was like she knew secrets... Her coat. I will miss that soft fur with every inch of my being. Her presence. Her calming, soothing presence. Going on walks. I will miss the way she knew we were going on a walk anytime a plastic bag was rustled. The way she would put part of the leash in her mouth and tug it like it was actually her walking Crawford or me. That is a great way to look at it honestly. She took care of us, just as much as we took care of her. She held us up!

Everyday life will be the toughest. We already feel it. Now it doesn't matter if we forget to put the trash can on the counter out of reach or if we leave tennis shoes and socks on the ground after a run. We don't have to put a chair on the couch or close his bedroom door to protect it from Greta hair. Saving trash bags, keeping towels in the car, and putting her leash in a spot the other will find it... All these little habits we are so conditioned to do just don't matter anymore. 
 
I think that's part of what God and Greta want us to see too... All the things that simply don't matter. Whether the burlap is frayed enough for our wedding tablecloths, whether or not it will rain that day, whether my nail color is too summery (ha)... Doesn't matter. Love matters. Being kind matters. Being authentic matters. We gained another clear perspective as well: We can't wait to go to heaven. This world is so full of pain, and with Jesus there is no pain. Don't get me wrong, our lives on earth are amazing and we are beyond thankful, but they don't compare to what is waiting for us!
 
Thank you, Greta for strengthening our love for each other and for the Lord. We will miss you every single day... You're the Best Girl, and now you really are our Angel. We celebrate your life!!!




2 comments:

  1. i love dog eyebrows too. so much expression. love you greta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm crying.... Love you greata and you!

    ReplyDelete